- AIR DATE: 1/20/1995
- STORY: Tom Fontana & Julie Martin
- DIRECTED BY: James McNaughton
Oh it’s a hot bundle of drama on this episode. Pembleton’s left the force and the writers are navigating the tricky waters of Domestic Violence, while skirting away from DV tropes involving police officers. It’s quite the challenge and for the most part H:LOTS scores a B-. Still this is light years beyond the efforts of other shows to shine on spotlight on DV without sensationalism, victim blaming or equating the survivor’s pain with the abusers (e.g. all abusers were abused).
PEMBLETON, GEE and THE BRASS
- Pembleton done went and left the force in the wake of the hanky panky Congressman Hot Pants debacle. Pembleton’s on the line for following orders and the BRASS and even GEE – though for different reasons – are not inclined to protect him. Bayliss goes to bat for Pembleton, but finds it does more harm than good. Pembleton could sure use a little Bruce tonight. Brilliant Disguise if you have it handy.
BAYLISS and LEWIS
- Lawd, Lewis’s bad driving makes its first appearance when he pairs with Bayliss on a murder and instead nearly kills himself, Bayliss and the Medical Examiner by going the wrong way down a one way street. In other news, it looks like the crew (Bayliss, Munch and Lewis) are finally going to open the Waterfront, except with so many false starts, folks are starting to see them as the “Boys who cried Bar Grand Opening”.
- Russert battles her conscience when shes rushes to the ER after hearing her ex-partner’s wife is badly injured and medical professionals are asking questions. Russert does that thing I despise in regards to DV, which is to doubt her initial suspicions, which of course proves quite disastrous. Still this is handled with care and it’s not an easy story arc to watch, but worth doing so.
- S3x01 – Nearer My God to Thee
- S3x02 – Fits Like a Glove
- S3x03 – Extreme Unction
- S3x04 – Crosetti
- S3x05 – Last of the Watermen
- S3x06 – A Model Citizen
- S3x07 – Happy to Be Here
- S3x08 – All Through the House
- S3x09 – Nothing Personal
- S3x10 – Every Mother’s Son
- S3x11 – Cradle to Grave
- S3x12 – Partners